There are four types of poker playing styles- Tight aggressive, loose aggressive, tight passive and loose-passive. These can be used in a combination to make your way through a poker tournament. The most playing style you will encounter at the table is tight-aggressive, loose aggressive and tight passive while you play poker online.
How to play tight aggressive
Tight aggressive players are the one who knows which starting hands to play, how to play out a hand and when to raise. They are the toughest to beat and a good strategy is needed to defeat them.
- Play with good hands: These players play few and selected hands and you need to know when to call them. So play them in late position with only good hands.
- Re-raise: When you are a button against a TAG who raised, re-raise him to access his cards. If he calls then he has pocket ace/royals/kings.
- Use continuation bet: Playing against the TAG, use the combination bet as a weapon. It isn’t likely that the TAG flops his pair or set and a good weighted continuation bet can tell where he stands.
- Know when to fold: TAG’s are tight players who won’t keep chasing and if they keep raising/calling and your cards don’t have the strength, then just fold.
How to play loose aggressive
Loose aggressive players are not very selective but will be very aggressive. Some tips to keep in mind:
- Wait for premium hands: A loose aggressive player calls a lot so wait for your good hands. Play with your best cards and they will make you richer by virtue of their gaming style.
- Call for information: LAG calls a lot of hands. So call them every now and then to check if they are mixing their playing styles.
- Early position raising: If you sitting before a LAG, check your premium hands and raise after he has raised.
How to play tight passive
Tight passive players know which starting hands to play but are not risk-takers. They check and don’t raise even with the best cards. Here are some tips to play them:
- Beware when they raise: The tight passive players will seldom raise you. When they do, better know your card strength before calling. Don’t bluff these players as they play only strong hands.
- Don’t call, re-raise them: Tight passive players play poker online in India with premium hands and don’t like to be raised. Just call them and it will not affect them so re-raise them when your cards are strong.